Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sleepless in Seattle

I have never watched the movie "Sleepless in Seattle," and this has nothing to do with it. But I thought the title would be appropriate for this post - because I'm sleepless in Seattle.

Ever since I've started my new life here at the University of Washington, sleep doesn't happen that often in my life anymore. It's not like I had a good amount of sleep each night before I came here, either. But for some reason, I can't get myself to sleep at a proper time ("proper," here, means before 12 AM). Last week was the worst yet.

I woke up at 5:30 on Friday morning on three hours of total sleep from the past 2 days. Then I went on a 4 mile walk + 2 mile run. Then the day went by as usual. I met up with friends at around 4 and went bowling. After dinner, we watched movies until about 1 in the morning. With nothing better to do, we stayed up talking until 3 in the morning when we all decided to go get some sleep - everyone except me. I walked around a bit - I love the world at night - and got back home at 5:30 on Saturday (yesterday) morning. The scary thing is that I felt completely awake. I knew that that wasn't right and I forced myself to sleep. But I was right back up at 10 in the morning. As much as I would have loved to sleep in the whole day, I was up until 1:30 last night.

I need to start keeping a sleep log or something. If I could only find out what's keeping me awake... I think the main reason I can't go to sleep on most days is due the feeling that the day was somehow "incomplete." But I do plenty of things each day - I'm a college student at one the best universities in the world! How could my day be "incomplete?" That reminds me of reason #2: "I'm too excited to go to sleep." It might sound a little childish, but there's some truth to that statement. I think Coca Cola's Full Throttle "energy drink" might also be to blame. Energy drinks usually have no effect on me (Red Bull actually puts me to sleep). But Full Throttle is different somehow. But I've only had 2 or 3 of those so far.

Whatever the reasons may be, the fact is that I'm "sleepless in Seattle." At this point, I'm worried about myself. Really, really worried. But I think writing down how I feel helps. I think I'll have better sleep tonight. Hopefully, I can do something productive today.